Monday, October 29, 2012

Sample Short Answer to the College Application

This is a simple, clean, clear response to the essay prompt. Most importantly, this essay remains in the student's voice.


___

Short Answer:
 
Steps Ahead is a dance studio in Howard Beach, except it taught me so much more than just dance. I blossomed at Steps Ahead, first as a student from the tender age of four years old to becoming a dance instructor myself at seventeen.  When I was younger, I used to always look up to and admire my dance teachers. As a small shy child, dance was frequently my only escape, where I could shed my shyness to embrace my confidence from within. For years, I looked forward to going to dance everyday. My teachers pushed me to become not only a better dancer, but also a better person and I will never forget all that they’ve done for me.
 

I was selected to attend La Guardia High School for the Performing arts, in part due to my high SHSAT test scores and moreso as a result of my excellent audition for the school’s dance team. I knew that without years of practice at Steps Ahead, I never would have made it in. That shy girl from within disappeared the day I got my acceptance letter.

 

As early as my freshman year of high school at La Guardia, the school dance coach recognized that I had talent. She invited me to become her assistant teacher. That very moment gave me flashbacks to all those times I spent with my teachers’ assistants and how their role as an assistant played such a made such a lasting impression in my life. I became overjoyed with the thought of stepping into their place. I have been an assistant to my dance teacher for 4 years, and it gives me great pleasure to know that I am someone who the students can look up to. This experience truly allows me to become a role model for the students. It brings a smile to my face to know that I am apart of their life in such a positive way and I hope and pray to influence them to reach their fullest potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment