Saturday, August 25, 2012

SAT GRAMMAR common conundrums

SAT Grammar Tips: Common Conundrums
Accept: “verb/to agree”: I accept the fact that I must take the SAT.
Except: “Apart From”: I love everything about high school except the SAT!
Effect: “Result”: The effect of studying relentlessly for the SAT will hopefully be the obtaining of a very high score.
Affect: “To Influence”: Kweller Prep SAT affects many people positively.
Fewer: “Countable number”: She scored fewer points than I did on the SAT (because she didn’t go to Kweller Prep).
Less: “not a countable number”: She studies less than I do.
Then: “time”: First you study, and then you pass!
Than: “compare”: She studies more than I do.
To: “place”: I go from home to Kweller Prep tutoring.
Too: “also”: After studying, I make time for fun too.
It’s: “It is”: It’s hard to get a perfect score on the SAT without practice.
Its: “possession”: Despite its complicated questions, the SAT is a coachable test.
Farther: “physical distance”: My home is farther from Alaska than it is from Kweller Prep tutoring.
Further: “a degree”: With Kweller Prep tutoring, you will go further than your friends will in preparing for the SATs.
Could of / should of / would of / might of are incorrect. Instead, use could HAVE/should HAVE/would HAVE/might HAVE.
Incorrect: I could of scored higher on my SAT.
Correct: I could have scored higher on my SAT.
Their: “possession” Kweller Prep students score higher on their SAT’s.
They’re: “they are” The SATs are hard, but they’re not impossible.
There: “a location”: You’ll find your practice test over there, on the desk.
Theirs: “possession”: Can you tell your SAT score apart from theirs?
There’s: “there is”: There’s no reason why you can’t get a good SAT score with practice.
That: “restrictive”: The test that you prepare for best will feel the best.
Which: “nonrestrictive, by the way” The SATs, which were always hard for me, seem easy now.
Who: “human” The students who study hard will be pleased with the results!
Who: “subject” Who is going to help you study?
Whom: “object” With whom will you study?
Use subject (I, he, she, we, they) with a linking verb: (to be: am, is, are, was, were, be, been). Don’t use the object (me, him, her, us, them)!
Incorrect: You are more prepared for the SAT than me.
Correct: You are more prepared for the SAT than I (am).

No comments:

Post a Comment